Thursday, June 3, 2010

And the Winners are...


Harbour Cone trees-3723













... all of Dunedin! The sun has returned after a truly dismal spell. Yesterday I was returning home from visiting a colleague to get a print done when I finally saw one of my favourite spots on the Otago Peninsula bathed in light that really made the most of it. I only had a minute to get something as evening cloud was approaching fast, but now I know the best conditions to go there in. It'll be a spot I'll do other shoots, and possibly take guiding clients, but like many good spots, it tends to be a great backdrop in search of a subject to do it justice. It'd be a great spot for an outdoor portrait as long as the road isn't busy.


Harbour Cone trees-3742

Congratulations to the winners of this year's Otago Museum Wildlife Photo Comp. There are a few duds in the final selection, like the jury prize going to a nice but rather ordinary portrait of an elephant seal from South Georgia. One of my favourites is of some dolphins seen in the dark reflection of the passengers on board a boat - it's not the most stunning bit of composition but it's a shot with plenty of interest and tells a story. I'm pleased to see the overall winner is a capture of a very nice moment in animal behaviour rather than just another nature portrait.

Check the winners out here.

2 comments:

  1. Can't figure out why, shots from outside Otago are allowed in an Otago Wildlife Photograhic competition especially when the winning shots then go on to be printed in a clanedar produced by the Otago Museum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm compelled to agree. Especially since with a little application, a superior shot can be made of our own fur seals or sea lions than the South Georgia elephant seal.

    ReplyDelete