Sunday, July 12, 2009

What The Birds Taught Me

Kissing Keas

Family vacation. If you're a parent, you'll know that means not a lot of time for photography or hobbies unless you're either very selfish or very disciplined. I hope I'm not one and I'm afraid I'm not the other. We're skiing, so I forced myself to take a few hours off the beautiful snow and steep slopes to chase Keas around the car park at Treble Cone, Wanaka. What I learned is that it's easy to get really ordinary shots of keas sitting around. It's harder to get good behaviour. The best I got was a lot of blurry birds in flight. The thing I'll do next time is crank up my ISO so shutter speeds are higher. I did manage to get these two interacting. I think they're a couple of juvenile males. Sounds like numbers aren't so good at Treble this year. Predators like stoats are being caught higher up the mountain than before. That's a shame. I love these cheeky characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment