Saturday, January 1, 2011

Over Another Hump

Welcome to 2011.  I know for certain that it's going to be a good year.  That's because I've got some challenging new projects in the pipeline that I'm pretty excited about.  Foremost in mind is my celebrity walk on the Hump Ridge Track.

Hump Ridge Boardwalk

For three days starting on March 2nd this year I'll be doing the walk and sharing all my photo expertise with those who join me. That's going to leave us with about two days, 23 hours and fifty minutes to fill, so it's a good thing that there's so much to enjoy along the way.

Percy Burn Viaduct

First, there's the spectacular scenery. You just take that as a given on New Zealand walking tracks. For instance on day two we'll descend through the coastal rain forest via the Percy Burn viaduct, a remnant of the forestry industry that once exploited the area.  More of the track's eye candy to come in a later post.

Percy Burn Viaduct

The Hump Ridge celebrity walks are much more than bush-bashing your way from scenic wonder via epic outlook to awesome vista. I've done my share of sweating up the hills and mountains with a 20kg pack, eating only what I was prepared to carry and sleeping in spartan huts, tents or rock bivouacs. This March, we'll be walking the track, but all our heavy gear will be transported to our accommodations by helicopter.  (I won't tell if you won't.)  Personally, I know I'm going to struggle with the temptation to carry more photographic gear in its place.

Port Craig International Airport Hump Ridge Helo

Those accommodations? Comfortable?   Make that very comfortable. Forget about sleeping on a thin groundsheet on top of gnarled tree roots while your companions snore like an engine test at the airbus factory (although it's hard to forget if you've ever experienced it, believe me). Think private rooms with King-size beds. And while I'm enough of a masochist purist to still enjoy a strip wash in a cold mountain stream, on this trip I'll be enjoying hot showers. Now lets talk about the food and drink.

No roughing it
 Leave your dried food and water purifying tablets at home. The Hump Ridge guided walks offer excellent food on licenced premises.  When I walked into Okaka hut last year, I expected to be greeted by the traditional aromatic mix of camp stove fuel, damp socks and insect repellent.  Instead, I was welcomed by the smell of baking brownies.  Something to drink? Great wines, cold beers, take your pick. Let me tell you there's nothing like a mulled wine as you take in the coastal and alpine views from Okaka hut and that's just what I plan to do.  In moderation of course, there'll be two more days walking to do.

But that's not all we'll be doing.  On my walk, we'll be making stunning pictures together.  Let me tell you how, in another post.  If you're interested, click your way here to find out more about the track, and make a booking.

No comments:

Post a Comment