Friday, December 24, 2010

Goodbye and Good Luck Mike

IMG_7761.jpg

Yesterday was something of the end of an era for me.  My mate and photo collaborator Mike Thorsen left Dunedin for a new life on the island of St Helena.  Mike and I have been bouncing ideas off each other fairly intensively all year; I had the honour of shooting his wedding and the pleasure of using him as my assistant on several of my commercial shoots.  On our last gig together for Tourism Waitaki, between me grunting at him to adjust or shift lights and reflectors, he actually found time to take some behind-the-scenes shots.

See how I seem so totally focussed on my subject that I don't even notice Mike in my shot shooting back at me?  And that I look as if I'm in total control and know what I'm doing all the time?  That's how good he is.

CC down the Barrel  In the line of fire  Breaking the Rules

CC shooting for Tourism Waitaki

I'm going to miss our catchups over coffee to talk gear, his expertise in macro shooting and his advice on post production, but what I'll really miss is how good Mike makes me look. I'm expecting to see some great stuff come out of his time overseas.  

Good luck mate, I'm looking forward to working with you again some day.  I'll be your voice-activated lightstand any day.

On that note, it's time to put away the toys, tear myself away from the PC and wrap for the year.  Happy Christmas and a great 2011 everyone.  I hope you've been entertained, just a little informed, and come back for more adventures in photography next year.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh shucks. Cheers Clive! My lighting gear is now 3 times as heavy As a result of our playing around! Getting a few good pics but getting the time to do the post is hard at the mo. I'm hoping to get some on Flickr this week (but i thought that last week too ....)

    ReplyDelete