Monday, December 13, 2010

The Newspaper Man

The Newspaper Man

I recently had the chance to shoot some pictures of actor Stuart Devinie for Dunedin's Fortune theatre. I could've done it with the theatre lights or my camera flashes, but wanted big, soft light, so rigged the softbox and umbrella onto my new 1000 WS studio strobes. Lotsa light. Bang, bang, bang. I was ready to get all creative on the job, but my client wanted straight stuff to cut out and composite with other material. Maybe next time. Just for this posting I decided to ramp up the clarity and contrast - a bit like a high pass filter to give Stuart some edge.

I'm dying to do some stuff in the style of the Brakhas. Check 'em out. I love where they're going with their Sketchy Mondays blog, as mentioned in David Hobby's Strobist blog. I think their Glee cast pictures are particularly inspiring. Reverse engineer the lighting on those shots and you'll see why I'm trying to make a bracket that will hold four or five of my flashes in a row together.

With the increasing load of commercial work I'm doing, I'm getting more commercial gear. There's been the aforementioned studio strobes, and a Pure Sine Wave inverter to power them in the field. I'm expecting some backdrop stuff to arrive any day. I may do some posts on that stuff soon. Right now there's thunder forecast, and I'm hoping to get some lightning shots later. Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment