Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Washout

The road to Nine Mile

Photography has all but replaced fly fishing for me.  I don't mind that much.  It's very similar in nature.  I was in Wanaka last week to do a little high country mustering shoot for a new client.  The weather maps made it look like there'd be a one-day fine spell before some nasty stuff came over, and the farmer I'd been dealing with had decided to move his sheep that day.

It was going to be a great experience:  I was to shoot a group of musterers moving a mob of merinos from the Timburn station valley floor, up and along the ridges to Mount Misery near the St Bathans range - spectacular and beautiful country.  But the night before I got a call I wasn't expecting: The move was cancelled. A contractor had decided to come and do some crutching that day. We'd be moving the mob the day after. 

East Stockyard Sentinel  Bulls

No problem. I rose before dawn anyway and did some shooting around the property in the golden hour light before heading up the ridge line to get some wide shots of the valley below.

Geordie Hills and Merivale

It was a magic day despite the lack of action and I was pumped to think that we'd be up on the tops tomorrow.  But as I got back to my hotel that afternoon, I could see clouds on the horizon.  That night the rain on the roof made it hard to sleep.

Or it could have been the huge plate of ribs I'd had for dinner.

_MG_5594.jpg

The call came at 0600.  No good.  The tracks were too soft to move the stock, maybe next week.  So I took the long road home via the Lindis pass.  The streams were still rising but occasionally the sky cleared and I managed to get some shots for my library and other projects.

_MG_5673.jpg

It's so like fishing.  Even the worst day taking pictures is better than most days not doing so.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are absolutely stunning. I particularly like the last one and the bulls in the mist.

    ReplyDelete