Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Wonder of Sex

The Wonder of Sex

Well if that isn't a title to get me some hits, I don't know what is. Unfortunately it's not really mine. It's the title of an upcoming show at Dunedin's Fortune Theatre. Just before Christmas I had the pleasure of shooting some promotional material for the fortune's upcoming season and now that they've had their live preview it's okay for me to share a few shots.

This one is of 'The Wonder of Sex' writer Patrick Barlow. I knew Patrick in a previous life when I was writing a kids science show for TV and Patrick was acting in it. For this shot, since we were shooting for a few different productions on the downstairs stage at the Fortune, it made sense to take my studio lighting kit. We could have relied on the house lights to get the full theatre effect, but I didn't have time to muck about with an unset lighting grid. Gotta say I'm not in love with the grey background and the line through Patrick's head, but the shot was to be cut out and photoshopped later.  On the Fortune's Website, you can see their graphics maven Nikki has done some saucy Photoshop magic on the original. I like it a lot.

The shot below reveals my set-up reflected in Patrick's eye: Octabox high left for Key, softbox left for fill, and a kicker/separation light high left rear, provided by one of my bare Canon flashes.


Reflections on Lighting

And there, if you look carefully in the middle of it all, is me at work -something you often have to look very hard to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment