Friday, September 24, 2010

Who Let The Spider Out?

It was me.  I let the spider out.  I didn't mean to. 

_MG_8827.jpg

I was just experimenting with David Hobby's bug lighting setup - see my previous post for the link.  It works pretty well, giving nice even lighting to your invertebrates.  However it does have its drawbacks - the lighting is a little too even for drama, and you're stuck with the overhead view.

This morning I had a chance to experiment with the setup:  Big drama as I found a nice sized spider hunting in the mess on Miss C's bedroom floor.  I told her if she doesn't like spiders, then she should keep her room tidy, but that's another story.  I replicated David's paper cup, copy paper and flash set up and got some good results.  Then I started experimenting a little.  First with a dark background.  This was a quick exercise, so I just grabbed a bit of plastic.  With a smoother background, this would make a good shot.

Spider experiment

Okay, then I decided I wanted a lower angle, and to experiment with more directional light.  So I made a large ring of paper, so I could shoot my beautiful arachnid from a lower angle, look into her eyes.  (For some reason, my default spider gender is female.  Maybe it's something to do with hairy legs.)

It worked okay, especially when I was brave enough to open up the loop and let a direct flash in, creating some leg shadows on the paper.

_MG_8869.jpg

I like the lower angle the paper ring gave me.  But next time, I'll try to find something more like white plastic.  You see, paper is fibrous.  Unlike plastic cups, if a spider should suddenly decide to climb the barrier, escape and say, scurry across the dining room table, she can.  With alarming speed. 

My daughter's spider

Thank goodness Miss C wasn't around.  Or Mrs C for that matter.  Happily I managed to recapture my model and liberate her into the garden.

Lessons learned.  As far as I can tell from the 'net, this may actually be a male sheetweb spider.  Anyone care to offer a positive ID?

1 comment:

  1. Update: My mate Mike T tells me it's a female sheetweb. The males have even bigger fangs and more club-like pedipalps.

    ReplyDelete