Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fun with a Fisheye

The view from Minsk

I hear Canon's new EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fish eye zoom is a lovely bit of kit. I may well treat myself to one eventually, but meantime I'm enjoying my new Peleng 8mm fisheye.  You can check them out here.  They're made in Belarus, weigh a ton and are fully manual.  It's a beast, a relic from the cold war.  It's just a fixed 8mm, can be prone to a bit of lens flare around the edges of the image, and suffers chromatic aberration and softness at the edges, but at about a fifth the price of the Canon, it'll do me nicely for a while.  Above is the nearly full circular 180 degree image it takes on my full-frame Canon 5D Mk II.  Below is something I popped into Dunedin's Octagon to shoot at lunchtime.  This was on the crop sensor Canon 7D.  It proved useful for the panoramic kind of pictures I want for the double page spreads I want to open the chapters of my book on Dunedin business.  Fun fun fun.

_MG_9905.jpg >

1 comment:

  1. how i wish i have my own DSLR. i really want one but its too expensive. i can't manage to buy even the cheapest one.

    Signature:

    UniformPoint | cheap t-shirts

    ReplyDelete