Thursday, April 14, 2011

Very Good Fortune

Go see some live theatre.

Two very good mates and former TV colleagues recently managed to tear Mrs. C and I out of the house to see a play at Dunedin's Fortune Theatre. I'm so glad we got a sitter for Miss C and went along - and not just because of the pre-show Scotch I had with them.

I really have no excuse not to be going to this season's shows. I shot some of the promo pictures for them; I went to the preview evening and they all looked like a good night out. The main stage production that's running right now is "God of Carnage" and here's the shot they used for the poster (before being put through the fab-u-tron):

_MG_2122.jpg

That's Lara Macgregor, the Fortune's new creative director by the way. I think she's doing sterling work.

Tonight's show was downstairs in the studio, a one man play called "The Second Test".

I know. One man play. You immediately think "heavy" or "high risk of stage death". Forget it. This is the true story of 22 year old test cricket bowler Bob Blair who, when the rest of the team were battered, bruised and bowled out, walked on against a ferocious South African attack at a time nobody expected him to: the day after hearing of his fiancee's death in the Tangiwai railway disaster. It's funny, sad, and thoroughly entertaining. 70 minutes flew by like 15.

It's written and played by Johathan Brugh, who's voice and face you'll recognise from a fair few kiwi ads. I recognise him from 90's comedy duo Sugar and Spice... I'll never forget their sketch of Jacques Chirac being rogered by a... well, I won't go there.

But you should go to the Fortune. Great stuff. And on the way in, check out the light panel, there are some fabulous promo shots on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment