Monday, November 9, 2009

The Final Frontier

Space. Not the inky infinite, starry space. I'm talking the domestic variety. Rooms and stuff.

When a family member of mine decided to put her house on the market, I offered to shoot some interiors. A good realtor with a point-and shoot can do a fairly decent job these days, but I thought with a little practice, I might just be able to add a little sizzle and the chance to practice lighting spaces instead of just objects was a learning experience I couldn't resist.

Ensuite

It wasn't going to be hard. The property was designed by my dear departed father-in-law, and it's a cracker, built to make full use of the sun for light and passive solar heating, and with top quality fixtures and fittings. All I really needed to do was to add a little extra light in the dark corners, and where windows were in shot, try to balance the light with the ambient exterior. It's amazing what a difference a bit of extra directional light can make to a picture of a room.

Bedroom

Living Room


The first thing was to de-clutter the rooms a little, just clear the benches and shelf tops. Then it was a fairly simple matter of adding one, two or three flashes to create a nice even light, and help the colours pop a little. I went for a daylight look since we're going into summer, but it would have been easy to light the log burner and gel the flashes to get a warmer evening feel.

If you look carefully at the shadows, you can pretty well figure out where I had my flashes placed. I think my favourite shot is the kithen. I love that shiny stainless steel, and my rellies have pretty nice taste in colour.

Kitchen

It'll be sad to see the property leave the family, but if it gets a good price, I'll be happy. It's been a great first exercise in lighting spaces, and one I'm going to need for my next assignment. Now that's an exciting project. Check back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment