Friday, August 17, 2012

Heroes

I've just been asked to shoot the pictures for Fortune Theatre's annual catalogue again, a job I always look forward to.  Meanwhile, I thought I'd share a couple from this year's shows. If you're from Dunedin you'll recognise the finished work from posters around town.

_MG_2561.jpg _MG_2524.jpg _MG_2543.jpg

This set is from the shoot from "In The Next Room or The Vibrator Play".  We had in mind to photoshop the Victorian wallpaper background in later, so all I needed to deliver was a sexy looking bit of light on the lovely Elena and a shadow the graphic designer could work with. I decided to go with a very simple setup: using the Orbis ring flash for key and fill on Elena. It gives a beautiful sheen to bare skin as well as that distinctive halo-like shadow. Then to camera right I've got a bare 580 EXII flash providing the wall shadow and a bit of hair and rim lighting.

_MG_2578.jpg _MG_2617.jpg _MG_2618.jpg

From the beauty we went to... well let's just say character.  This set was for the play "Heroes" and the posters are popping up around town now. Again, we were shooting for a photoshop background. The play is about three old war veterans. I wanted to be fairly sympathetic so kept my key light big and soft. It's a Linkstar 1000w studio head in a 120cm octagonal softbox. The Orbis comes into play again for on-axis fill, an I've got a bare 580 EXII on either side for rim lights.

Elena was thoroughly professional, but these old rogues... well, no matter what their age, get three blokes together, and after a while, naughty schoolboys come out. Exactly what I was waiting for.

_MG_2611.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment